Thursday, October 14, 2010

2 Weeks

Hello! It's been a busy couple of weeks for me as I grow more and more familiar with the MMI collections. I've found many interesting things in my exploring.

This scrapbook, along with several others, make up a set of articles on MMI that range from 1968 to the early 80's. Unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that. Until my supplies arrive in early November, I'm holding off on opening some of the more damaged pages. Those I have been able to open speak of community service performers by MMI Cadets and Faculty and some of the amazing awards won by individual and Company, alike. They are displayed in the Archives. I'll turn the pace once a week until we see them all.

Relief Template


I also found the Bas Relief templates for the Lynn M. and Sherwood C. Middlebrooks, Jr. Hall of Fine Arts external walls. I'm currently in the process of writing a description for them.

We received a wonderful package that contained a pair of corduroy pants with S. McCollum written inside the waistband. They're being preserved and combined with the Shivers McCollum collection.

Kelly Griffiths, Library Director, found this photo leaned against a book truck last week - apparently left by someone. It seems as though it was pressed in a book. The edges are worn and frayed. Identity to be confirmed. Speculation gives me James T. Murfee...location? I'm on the hunt for that answer, too.

Many of the Cadets are taking the opportunity to stop into the Archives and take a peek. They have many questions about MMI history and the many Alumni that have come before them.

There are exciting things afoot as I will soon welcome new efficient shelving that will offer more storage and display space. I am beginning to organize the artifacts into relevant collections to allow maximum display with maximum protection. Please feel welcome to stop in and see me when you're on campus.

This weekend is Parents' Weekend at MMI. The Archives will not be open. There is still much work to do. I am here on Tuesdays and Thursdays to be of service. Please, stop in and see what's on display!

I'll share the ongoing progress as it happens.

Erin Jones
MMI Archivist
ejones@marionmilitary.edu
334 302 1038